Sunday, April 02, 2006

Glass Ceiling

My learning cohort was asked what we hoped to gain out of the next two years. My expectation is that I will graduate from this program better equipped to help people grow spiritually. (I don't expect to do this in a professional capacity, but rather as an active lay person.) I want to know and be able to articulate the history of spiritual formation and the contemplative traditions of the church. I want to learn the "nuts and bolts" of how we relate to God and soul care. I'm looking forward to the academics, but I hope that the cohort will also learn about spiritual growth through the experience of "life together" over these next two years.

My classmate Bruce made a statement that really got me thinking: "While I know that I can't make another grow, I know, as a pastor, I could possibly be a ceiling to other's growth."

I live in a different community from where I work and worship. Many of my coworkers commute in, too, from 20 - 60 miles. We cross state lines (NY to PA). We also move a little deeper into Appalachia, which is just of much a state of mind as geography.

We're often frustrated by our lack of ability to interest youth in pursuing higher education. (In this itty bitty county only about 4% of the population does any college after high school.) For a youth who's parent has only ever worked at a fast food restaurant, contributing to the family survival via a minimum wage job appears to be a lot more responsible than incurring thousands of debt for "just a piece of paper." Most of the adults in their life don't portray college ambitions as realistic.

We learn about reality by observing the world around us. So why would a person aspire to a life they don't know exists?

This is where Bruce's comment really got to me... Am I intentional about promoting spiritual growth in my church? Do I model the disciplined life to the people around me? Am I being authentic about the realities of new life or am I putting on a show that just leads people to frustration?

My prayer is the God would continually enlarge my vision of the spiritual life. I want the kind of life that would cause people to gain some high expectations in God!

1 comment:

Tara Lamont said...

OH! Is that what I keep bumping my head on?