Saturday, February 25, 2006

Diggin in"

I had the opportunity to go to a "Leadership Retreat" over night at my church's camp, and my husband and I decided to atted and give it a shot. After a difficult experience (that was ever to long to tell and isn't really worth your time to read), over a year ago - it was refreshing to go to an event where the purpose was to bring "Everyone" to the table to discuss the effectiveness, policy and future of our denomination.
Many opinions were stated, ideas and perspectives were varied, but the best result I feel was the feeling that everyone could be open and share constructive criticism as well as positive affirmations. We all had a say, we all listened to each other and I felt my heart leap as I felt heard and that I was hearing others for the first time in a long time! I got excited about our future as a church again, at least in a way that I haven't felt for a while.
All ages and generations were represented. Including: Pastors, staff, members, headquarters leaders, black, white, hispanic, elderly, young adults, middle aged adults and teens.
The playing field was leveled - and it felt good to be a part of it all.
I've always felt that the only way to fix problems, and plan for progress is to get everyone to the table and start to talk to each other face-to-face. We'll be on our way to healthier churches, pastors and members if we continue on this path.
I've got my walking shoes on and I'm ready. Are you?

2 comments:

Nicole_Marietta said...

I was excited as well! This weekend was something I believe was bathed in prayer and "cutting" edge for our church. I too received a confirmation and a rejuvenation for the work and mission of our church!

Anonymous said...

Lamont, God has a plan for you and you & your husband are needed for just a time as this. God hears us and knows our needs and the needs of our church. I believe our worlds will be rocked and rock the worlds of those in lofty places, to see how far we are from the mission and the desire of those to change the church for the better. Keep pressing on!