Thursday, October 12, 2006

Life together

We've been discussing the merits of small groups and Sunday School in regards to people's spiritual growth. Personally, I think you can call it whatever you want, but the important thing is that people are sharing life together. You can't love your neighbor in a vacuum.

One of the missional churches my wife and I scoped out in Pittsburgh last week was the Open Door. One of the covenants of spiritual formation that they've made is to eat together with people:

"We strive to eat with at least 2 people we don't live with (1 from the Open Door and 1 not) each week.

"Jesus regularly ate with friends and strangers. He culminated his ministry in the last supper, where he told us to do likewise. Eating with others is a place of conversation, community and hospitality and it is practiced throughout scripture in regular celebrations, feasts, sacrifices and gatherings of the people of God. Whether with one or many, whether coffee or a feast, whether serving or being served, sharing a meal together provides an opportunity to grow in relationships, to build trust, and ultimately for Christ to work through us in those relationships" (The rhythms and practices of the Open Door).

If eating counts as spiritual formation, just call me Thomas Merton!

2 comments:

Tara Lamont said...

Same goes for me!

Unknown said...

I.F., I agree, people sharing life together is what is important. I get a little frustrated when I hear people talk about how horrible "church" is on Sunday mornings. To me, it ain't perfect but it ain't all bad, either.

I love the aspect of the Open Door covenant that you mention. I think it is a great way to be intentional about community and not get too inward focused. At the same time, I think, in reality, it might be hard to do.

As a part of the college/young adult ministry that eventually became our church, we always used to say--and I'm sure you've heard it before--"If we don't eat. We don't meet." Who knew how ahead of our time we were?

Mary-LUE

P.S. I usually comment on Lamont's posts because all the philosophy stuff is whish, right over my head!