Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Take a load off

Matthew 11:28-30

Jesus said, "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

I've read this verse amillion times. In fact, I have it on my fridge right now- in the Message translation. It's hard to imagine something that is placed around the neck to be light (ie. yolk) .

Something struck me about this image in a new way today.When observing cattle wearing a yolk- they are in pairs.

So if Jesus is saying Come carry this- he's not telling us to do it alone. He's yolked with us, if we let him help.

I'm saying loudly, "Here's my neck. Will you help me carry life your way. In your time?"

Jesus answers yes.He will help me and give me rest in the midst of the labor. I will accept his rest so my soul can reap His harvest.

Blessings for autumn.

No comments: