Sunday, October 29, 2006

Roger Corman Double Feature

Can I just take a moment to point out that television's treatment of Halloween is pretty poor this year? Unless of course, your idea of horror is Ghost or The Butterfly Effect... Sheesh...

I decided to scope out the new Family Video store in Jamestown, NY to see if I could find anything more suitable for my weekend viewing. To my surprise, they had a large collection of Roger Corman films. Jackpot!

First up was Death Race 2000, a cross country car race where racers score points for killing people. This is a film that played endlessly on cable TV in the 1970s and it was just as fun as I remembered it!



The second film was Pirahna. Although the poster and concept would lead one to believe that it's a takeoff on the previous year's Jaws, Pirahna is actually a pretty original little horror/adventure flick. The big bag U.S. Goverment develop a highly-intelligent mutant strain of Pirahna which are accidentally let loose to munch on summer campers and scuba divers.



Neither of these films fit into my beloved category of so bad they're good, because both films avoid the pitfalls common to most low budget pictures of this type. The films are very action packed and the directors accomplish some high production values on a shoestring. Thank you, Roger Corman, for saving my weekend!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Race 2000! That brings back memories of the days when my husband and I were dating. I'm sure I wouldn't ever have watched that movie if it weren't with him. Ah, the good old days.

What would a good Joe Bob review give it? X many decapitations, X many limb removals, etc. (We used to love the Joe Bob Drive-In Movie reviews when we lived in Dallas.)