Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Professionalism vs. Personality

I gotta tell ya... It's tough finding a decent radio station out here in the sticks... There's just way too much pop clogging up the airwaves -- Britney, Christine, Jessica, and Justin. I truly wish Clay Aiken WOULD become invisible! It just seems like wherever I turn the radio dial I'm going to hear the same 20 or so artists.

If you think that infomercial have ruined television, automation has killed local radio. There are just so many "canned" formats out there right now. Having an announcer pre-record his bits all in one sitting may be economical, but it's a drag to listen to. I want to hear some comments about the news item that played 10 minutes ago, or what's going on right now in the weather, or on the street outside the studio.

I've observed that radio has become a lot more professional over the last few years, but has lost a lot of personality in the process. (That's not to say that it's the talents fault. I know so many capable people in the biz, but they aren't the ones running the show. In many cases, the ownership-management isn't even in the same state as the station.)

I've turned to the internet for some of my listening needs. I'm addicted to a radio program called Vinyl Cobwebs. A new show gets posted every week (or so) out of Salt Lake City. The DJs, Donovan and Premium Deluxe, aren't slick or professional sounding. They are politically-incorrect and drop-dead funny. They're having fun and it comes through the speakers. What kind of music do they play? Oldies. Real obscure ones. One-Hit Wonders. Novelty records. Doo Wop. Big Band.

Check out the link to the right and download the latest episode in mp3 format. This is the way radio should be.

No comments: