Monday, March 08, 2004

Citizen Kane

I love Citizen Kane. I have seen it dozens of time since college. It always bugs me that anytime I talk about the film someone has to gasp: "Rosebud..." It's not like it's the only line in the movie or anything. Here's my favorite quote, and it wasn't even delivered by Orson Welles:

"A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl." -- Mr. Bernstein, played by Everett Sloane

No comments: