Thursday, August 12, 2004

Camping Craziness

In the morning, some of the Experiment House Crew including myself will be going to spend a few days at our church denomination's camp. How is it that I always feel I need, "just one more day", to get ready for trips like this. UGH. I know that once the van is loaded, the car is packed and all the students we are taking are checked in, it will be fine. But for the next 10 hrs, I feel as if I'm on nuclear meltdown countdown.

Pack clothes. Check - except for that favorite pair of jeans spinning out in the washing machine as I write. Uncheck. Clean out car. Check - except that I had to load the drinks and snacks into the back and haven't had a chance to unload it into the van yet. So uncheck. Organize campers paperwork in folder, make sure to note any special needs, meds, etc. Check. Well. the folder is in the car, I had a late minute camper surface, and my husband had to go to buy some last minute supplies necessary for the presentations we are going to be doing at camp over the next few days. Uncheck, Uncheck, Uncheck.
I really don't feel ready for this. I don't look ready. I don't think I'm ready.

Feeling unready, though, I think is part of the whole experience of breaking away from our regular schedules, geography, and doing something different for a couple days. Every time my computer clock tells me what time it is, I begin to realize that even if I had another day I wouldn't feel any different than I do now. I would make another list of to dos, repack my suitcases and re-organize everything I was and wasn't going to take with me.

Camp is starting on Friday after lunch. It is Thursday night at 9:30 p.m.. The clock is going to keep ticking away, even if I don't want it to. Camp is going to be unpredictable, because of the weather, people and the amazing- loving- uncontainable- forgiving God we are going to serve there.

So maybe I can take a deep breath, realizing that there is only so much I can do. God really is the one holding this time in His hands. I hope that is what this weekend turns out to be. God's time. God's plan. God's purpose.

I am truly blessed. There are new relationships to make, old ones to build upon, and opportunity for something unexpected to occur. Camp is a crazy place. What I really need right now is some of that craziness to come inside of me a shake things up - so they can be put into place again. Not my place, but God's.

Let the countdown begin, because when the camp "ball" drops, anything is possible.

No comments: