Tuesday, August 17, 2004

LPC Day 1

You can expect a day to go a certain way - but it rarely does. When I woke up early for our trip to LPC, I was determined to not allow the little glitches get to me. But when we got to the church, all we seemed to face were delays. But as I gathered things and greeted parents I knew it would be alright once we got on the main highway. Oh how I couldn't wait to get out on the open road.

The team worked together so well from the first moment. Shuffling to pick up a volunteer, located our van and trailer to transport 13 teenage campers on Friday the 13th. After medication, money and head checks were complete (and all-13 were clean); you would have thought I had won the lottery. Yahoo!

I almost lost my jubilant mood after having to return back to town two times for various items, but after a few miles of highway and happy chatter with the passengers in the back seat - I was a millionaire again.

The drive went fast, stopping for gas and pop-tarts just once. Camp registration went alright. There was a scramble to retain resistant documents for a few campers, but I was going to be there the whole session. So I waited happily while chatting with old friends and joking with two of my unregistered imaginary campers. We were all happy when the faxes came through and they became real live campers, with cabins and counselors and canteen cards.

It was a new experience for I. F. and I taking along our two kids to Teen Camp. The Director promised child care for them, so we decided to give it a try. We found out that we were staying in the apartment directly above the Director's. Two bedrooms, a pull out sofa for our volunteer, a microwave for our popcorn habit, and a small sitting area outside of the sliding glass door that was perfect for staring at stars while listening to the lake water lap the small shore. What a perfect and peaceful place for us to stay while working with unpredictable and energetic teens.

Friday night we had the first meeting we were responsible for putting on. We played a game called "Who Am I" with the almost 90 campers. Our daughter H - is a tween. Not a kid and not quite a teen, so she assisted us with props and various supporting jobs. So as she ran in front of the stage with the poster-board " Who AM I?" sign, I had a such a happy feeling knowing that we truly were a team. We all had a purpose for being there.

B- mc'ed the game and I played Vanna. B- gave his testimony and expressed how important it was to listen to the quiet voice of God. He said, that often times we look for a burning bush to direct us instead of relying on the peaceful presence and quiet direction of God's Holy Spirit. He spoke from his heart and the teens listened attentively. I played my guitar and led some worship songs. My hands were shaking and my faced was hot with some stage fright. But the audience didn't seem to notice my nerves, because they stood up, sang loud and cheered through the songs and introductions. I - seemed happy, calm and so intelligent as he taught about Jesus being the good shepherd. "Who is Jesus to you?, " he asked the crowd. During the time of prayer, several people came forward to the alter. I was privileged to pray with some of the kids that we had brought to camp and some that I hadn't met before that moment. I tried to encourage each one that Jesus knew who they were and loved them. He's willing to go on a hike to look for us. He already knows where we are. He's not the one that is lost - we are. N- ( the sound guy), had picked an amazing song to play during prayer time. I can't even remember the name of it - but it expressed salvation in such a pure, direct way; that the time at the alter was seamless and pristine. The kids were there to call out to God. They wanted to be real with HIm. They weren't afraid to reach out to HIm. God was the Good Shepherd to that group on Friday night.

I felt so relieved, joyous, blessed and exhausted and the end of LPC day 1. The kids and I hit the showers while I and B went in pursuit of a late night snack. What a pretty picture it was, as I remember my two children dozing on the pull out sofa. The kid's faces were pink from the summer sun against the white T-shirts they had put on before going to sleep. They were smiling as I tucked them under the covers. After spending some time with I, B and some pizza, I also fell asleep that first night wearing my white T-shirt and pajama pants. My face pink from the summer sun and I had a smile on my face as I closed my eyes.

I slept so well the first night the dreams I had were clear in my mind when I woke the following day. I've been so restless in my sleep of late that I haven't been able to remember any of my dreams. I can remember my dreams at LPC. Friday was a dream come true. Getting 13 teens and 5 staff to camp for five days is no small miracle. Having our ministry team gel so easily, without ego or snappiness present - was another miracle. It's a miracle for all of us, you know, this God that chases after us, this God that shepherds us in the right path, and speaks clearer in the quiet times. It's a miracle that even when we have certain hopes or expectations for our lives, that God's reality is better than anything we can dream.

No comments: