Sunday, August 22, 2004

I.F.'s Teen Camp Diary -- Monday

Monday was the Experiment House crew's day to exhale. We had concluded our meetings the night before, so we had the whole day to mix it up with the campers and staff. It was nice for Lamont and I to have some unstructured time with people, and it was interesting to see where some of those conversations ended up.

The big event of the day was a trip to The Gorge at Watkins Glen. We walked all 800 steps (1.4 miles) to the top. The forest, caves, rapids, and waterfalls. It was so beautiful -- just like Middle Earth except for all the pop bottles floating downstream. When I got to the top I took off my shoes and socks and walked around in the grass soaking up the sunshine. I think the bliss I was experiencing was probably what dogs feel like all the time.

What else did I do that day? Drove back to camp with the windows down listening to jazz and big band music. Snuck in a quick nap. I took a hot bath -- not because I needed to, but just because I could. And just when I didn't think the day could possibly get any better, the camp directors took it to the next level by treating us to dinner at the Mongolian Grill in Geneva NY.

After a day like this it was hard to imagine going home!

P.S. We all adopted Hobbit names for our hike at Watkins Glen. My name was Hornschwaggle Phartknocker.

No comments: