Friday, December 15, 2006

Life is Good Part Two

I ended part one with the words, "I can't wait to find out how the next four weeks of class turn out!" The answer turned out to be, "Better than I could have ever imagined!"

The last month was a time of unprecedented spiritual growth in my life. I don't know how to explain it any better than that—for once my words fail me. All I can say is that my life is significantly different than it was when I began this course in spiritual direction. I will do my best to at least record my experiences, even if I can't fully articulate how it all occurred. But be prepared for some fumbling around!

I began to squawk as soon as I was born and have never really taken a break in the ensuing 38 years. Personally and professionally I spend much of my time "making noise": writing, making videos, recording radio shows, designing websites, and public speaking. God used this class as a tool to develop some necessary balance in my life. The recurring theme of the last four weeks can be summed up in one word: listen.

My prayer life has changed significantly. I approach God with a holy expectation. It's not some feeling that I've mustered up on my own. I just now have faith that there is two-way communication going on and it is the most natural thing in the world. I have seen a number of specific prayer requests answered during the last month. I don't mean to imply that I've unlocked some secret way of prayer that gets God to do my bidding, rather it is more like I am finally am "in tune" with God after all these years.

I was somewhat overwhelmed by my coursework during the first four weeks and I found that my journaling suffered. My interest in journaling grew during the final month of the course. I found myself approaching it more as something I enjoyed rather than as yet another item on my to-do list. Plus, I had more to write about!

Meeting with my spiritual director was helpful. Direction continues to help me clarify issues related to my rule of life and discerning a call to ministry. Feelings of vulnerability continue to be a concern to me and I will address this with my director. Really!

God is directing my attention towards the harsh realities of life. It is becoming apparent to me that much of the way we live in the 21st century is destructive and unsustainable. I haven't received some huge plan from God or anything about how I'm going to stop global warming or unjust economic systems, but at least opening up my eyes is a start.

I finished my last assignment for Spiritual Direction tonight. It was sad to complete this class that has been such a catalyst for spiritual growth. Of course, the disciplines practiced and lessons learned will continue to impact my life even though the course is over!

No comments: