Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Genesee Country Village and Museum

I may not own a TARDIS, but I still managed to spend the second day of my vacation traveling through time. The extended family and I spent an enjoyable day at the Genesse Country Village and Museum in Mumford, New York. It's a massive collection of historical homes and businesses that have been moved to a piece of property just shy of Rochester, NY. All of the buildings have been carefully refurbished and furnished, and many of them have tour guides who will give you the history of the site. Pretty cool.

There is a real sense of peace that rests there. Exploring an austere Quaker meeting house and imagining the people who worshipped there, petting the animals, smelling the rosewater and walking the the garden at the Shaker Trustees' Building... I was amazed at the ingenuity of early settlers in the day-to-day business of daily living. It's a way of life forever closed to me. After all, I wouldn't survive a month on the frontier because I don't know anything about planting a garden, working with my hands, or, well, virtually anything I would need to do to live!

Yet there is such a purity, a "rightness" about that way of life that I hunger for. I can't help but wonder that for all our technological advances -- are we really better off?

No comments: