Saturday, July 10, 2004

Monsters rule O.K.!!!

My love of bad movies is legendary. As a kid, I once hitchhiked home from camp so I could catch a 2 am showing of The Thing With Two Heads. Years later, it was the first movie I purchased on DVD.

Imagine my joy and excitement yesterday as I browsed the aisles at my local Best Buy and saw a copy of The Monster Club on DVD for $9.99. Released directly to TV in America, The Monster Club was a stepchild of the Amicus horror anthologies of the 60s and 70s. The movie is a who's who of horror: Roy Ward Baker, Vincent Price, John Carradine, Simon Ward, Geoffrey Bayldon, Donald Pleasence, Britt Ekland, Patrick Magee, and Roy Ashton. Add a great soundtrack by a bunch of bands that never broke in America, and you've got an evening of prime entertainment!

This movie really takes me back to the early 1980s. We were the first family on our block to have one of those newfangled VCRs (a Montgomery Ward!) and one of the first things I ever recorded was The Monster Club off of WOR-TV. I've probably watched this flick a couple dozen times over the course of my life and it's as nostalgic for me as looking at my high school yearbook. This isn't a great movie. It's a movie that's so bad it's great! Remember -- MONSTERS RULE O.K.!!!

No comments: