Sunday, November 21, 2004

Random Rumblings

So Lamont and I got new jobs and a new church all in the same week. As much as everything my psych class taught me about the stresses of transition, I was really surprised this week at how smoothly everything went. I guess I had been under such a black cloud this last year that when it finally lifted it was almost a shock to remember what it felt like feel good. In fact, I went for my yearly physical on Thursday and my doctor actually had to check his notes to make sure that he hadn't prescribed me blood pressure medication when I saw him last August. There was actually that much of a change for the better! (Isn't it incredible that a poor workplace can have that much of an affect on one's health? Scary!)

I was aked to do "a witness" this morning in this morning's meeting. (A witness is a short personal talk about some aspect of being a Christian.) It wasn't what I would have preferred to do my first week at a new church -- I'd rather give it some time getting to know the existing congregation and all -- but as a former (!) pastor I know what a chore it can be to get people to participate sometimes. And anyway, as it turned out the people all seemed happy enough to see some new faces at the church. I mumbled a bit about how I made the transition from religion to that mysterious awareness of God -- the AHA moment -- and people seemed to see a connection between the story of their lives and mine. Maybe that was the best way for us to all get to know each other.

Life is good. We all need reminded of that sometimes, especially during the Christmas season when commercials incessantly remind us of what we lack! Oftentimes Christians with our "sky is falling" mentality and continual emphasis upon human weakness need this message the most of all.

I grew up in an era where the church thought it had it all figured out, as if life were an equation to be solved instead of an experience to be shared. That kind of thinking kept us good church goin' folk in line, but it didn't exactly lead to the richest lives.

It seems like the farther I walk along this road the less certain I am about everything. That would have scared the crap out of me as a kid, because all the "strong Christians" always seemed so certain about everything. But then again, many of them carried a certain sadness around and seemed to live from church service to church service, much like a junkie is always looking for the next fix. But I'm beginning to enjoy stumbling around in, if not the outright darkness, a thick fog at least, following the Christ as best I can. Not knowing where I'm going at least allows me the joy of discovery.

"And God saw that it was good."

This last week I saw a lot of good:

Laughing myself silly with my son is good.

Working a new challenging job is good.

Praying the Daily Office is good.

Watching MST3K with with K-- and D-- is good.

Listening to books on CD during the commute is good.

Eating dinner with the family is good.

Feeling the cool air after a rain shower is good.

Playing fetch with the dog is good.

Reading A Generous Orthodoxy is good.

Seeing old friends at church is good.

Four plates at Chinese buffet is very good. And a new personal record!

1 comment:

Michael said...

Sweet Mother, Mystery Science Theatre 3000!!!!! That's classic!

I've just started a Generous Orthodoxy a couple days ago. It's quite...wordy.