Monday, February 07, 2005

Mission Accomplished!

Well, it took me twenty years, but my collection of Doctor Who is finally complete. Marvel Comics published a comic based on the BBC program when it was at the height of its stateside popularity in the mid-eighties. The comic didn't sell terribly well -- especially after Peter Davison replaced Tom Baker in the strips -- and it folded after a short two-year run. I consoled myself with the knowledge that I had the entire twenty-two issue run in mint condition.

I was browsing a comic price guide a few years later and discovered, much to my dismay, that Marvel had actually produced twenty-three issues. Rats. Over the years I would occasionally check comic shops for the elusive issue twenty-three, but nobody ever carries back issues of Doctor Who.

With the new series reviving my interest in all things Doctor Who, I decided to make an attempt at locating the issue via the internet. You know, before the new series appears and Doctor Who becomes the most popular thing ever, making the price of its collectibles go sky high... (Yeah, right...)

I found the issue on sale at Mile High Comics in Denver. Now, seven dollars poorer and a week later, the collection I began at aged 16 is complete just shy of my 37th birthday. Mission accomplished!

No comments: