Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The rhythm is gonna get you

It was to my delight that in 8th grade our school announce a lip sync contest to be held. After seeing the film "Flashdance" I had become obsessed with the idea of becoming a fantastic dancer. Every night after dinner, I would blockade myself into the basement and dance for an hour or two. My commitment would not be challenged and the lip sync show was the perfect opportunity to show the world the benefit of the hours and hours of serious practice. I was ready.
I asked my bf to compete with me. I choose the song " The rhythm is gonna get you" by Miami Sound machine. I choreographed the whole extravagansa and practiced every waking moment. My bf only went over a few steps and was convinced she "Had it down cold".
The night of the Lip Sync arrrived. I dress in as many satiny articles as possible, teased my hair to it's largest and set out to the show with my vinyl (yes a record) album under my arm.
I paced back stage waiting for my bf to arrive. Finally she does, but says she can't dance with me ---she's too scared! (Mind you this is a girl that could drink anyone under the table due to her practice in parting - but dancin' before a group of her peers was pushing the envelope.)
There was only one thing I could do. I was most likely inspired by underdog films of the day like "Flashdance, Breakfast Club, and The Goonies". I handed the sound guy my album and marched up to center stage.
As the music began, the curtain pulled apart and I suddenly realised that the sound guy had set the player to the wrong speed. So there I was trying to dance in slow motion to the Miami Sound Machine. My peers started to laugh.
Trying to keep my cool, I ran down to the pit - corrected the speed and asked the sound guy to start over.
In the two seconds before the music started and I was dramatically turning to face my audience determined to show them my stuff. A rather rude young man shouted, "Fat A**!" from the back of the packed school auditorium. He was one of those teenage boys that would snap your bra while sitting behind you in Spanish Class.
The crowed laughed louder.
I turned red, fumbled through the routine and ran backstage afterward only to find my bf laughing at me too. I then began to cry....

So much for loyalty. Funny thing too, a few months later the nasty boy asked me out and how crazy I said yes?!!! I supposed his rude comment was his pubesent way of saying - "I think you're cute."
The romance (if you can call it that) didn't last, my old bf and I are ok with each other now and I'm still prone to dance around my kitchen if "The rhythm is gonna get you" come on the radio. But I think that the kitchen is where I''ll dance... there are no erring soundmen there.
Watch out for the rhythm - sometimes it really "get's" you.

2 comments:

Matt said...

painful story!

Matt said...

You guys have some of the most interesting stories.

We've got to have you over some time for dinner or at least karaoke!