Monday, November 20, 2006

The Ministry of Meekness

In chapter four of Life Together, Bonhoeffer describes a few ministries not commonly found in spiritual gifts inventories, like The Ministry of Holding One's Tongue and The Ministry of Bearing. While I found the whole chapter constructive, the section that impacted me the most was The Ministry of Meekness. I was convicted by the statement, "He who would serve his brother in the fellowship must sink all the way down to these depths of humility. How can I possibly serve another person in unfeigned humility if I seriously regard his sinfulness as worse than my own" (97)? Before reading that, it never occurred to me how much how much pride I have in my own lifestyle and accomplishments. Bonhoeffer's words often cut me to the quick, but make me want to strive for more in the journey.

No comments: