Thursday, November 09, 2006

Missing the forest for all the trees...

"Begin with the end in mind" is a phrase often heard in my workplace as we work on strategic plans for the new year. That wisdom is why I page ahead each chapter to read about a particular tradition's indicators of spiritual maturity—I like to know where I'm going…

The author of the section of the Reformed tradition is hesitant to commit to a precise definition of being conformed to the image of Christ. I think there is some wisdom that some of us in the Wesleyan-Methodist tradition could heed: "Cause-and-effect thinking leads to cause-and-effect practices, resulting in a self-generated spirituality that depends on us instead of God" (107).

I am sometimes frustrated at myself for not being as conscientious about observing my rule of life as I would like. It is a good to remind myself that I'm in pursuit of God and not a set of practices.

WORK CITED

Moon, Gary W. and David G. Benner. Spiritual Direction and the Care of Souls. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2004.

No comments: