Monday, October 31, 2005

Monster Movie Mania

One of the things I used to look forward to every Halloween was the chance to get yet another look at some of the great horror movies of yesteryear. As a kid, I could expect the whole week preceding Halloween to be filled with scary delights. But today all the 4 o'clock movie shows have been replaced with newscasts, and you're more likely to bump into infomercials on Saturday afternoons than an actual movie. Even American Movie Classics and Turner Classic Movies have had pretty poor Halloween programming this year. The former has eschewed the classics for a diet of modern flicks while the latter seems to have ignored the holiday entirely. I know this will make me sound like an old fart, but I miss the days when the words "horror movie" conjured up images of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolfman and the Mummy rather than Freddy, Jason, Michael and Chucky. I guess it was a more innocent time. Thank God for DVDs -- I'm watching Son of the Blob right now on my iBook as I pass out candy. Now that's entertainment!

No comments: