Monday, October 10, 2005

Thank You. Period.

Saint Paul instructed the Roman Christians to "...not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."

So how do you take a compliment? Do you quickly blurt out a quick it was no big deal to get the attention off yourself? Or do you keep milking the moment until you're the only one left applauding? I'm teaching my kids right now how to humbly accept a compliment. Usually saying thank you is a graceful enough response. It allows one to feel good about a job well done without becoming prideful.

As I have discovered with most of my parent-to-child imparted wisdom, I should heed the advice myself. When complimented I still alternate between getting red faced or feeling the need to point out every minute effort that it took to complete the good job. Although they seem like polar-opposite responses I think they're both rooted in poor self-worth.

Think about it. Isn't downplaying a compliment really saying that I'm not worthy of it? Similarly, fishing around for additional compliments indicates a definite lack of self-worth. I hope that someday I will be able to strike the healthy balance that gets missed between these two unhealthy extremes.

No comments: