Wednesday, February 25, 2004

An incurable disease is fun!

I saw another commercial last night for Valtrex, that new drug that is supposed to supress Herpes outbreaks. Ever seen an ad? Young and beautiful twentysomethings dance around a garden. They go sailboating and hiking. They run through parks flying kites or holding balloons. They splash around in a fountain. C'mon -- do you know any couples that actually do anything like that? I didn't think so. One would get the impression from repeated viewings that contracting a venereal disease is like holding a winning lottery ticket. Then I realized that I had finally got the message of the ad campaign: "people with herpes have way more fun than the rest of us." It was so obvious that I don't know why I didn't see it before. Man, I wish I had herpes!

No comments: