Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Praying in Circles?

I visited the Mount Saint Benedict Monastery this evening. The guest speaker was Carol Posch Comstock, the founding member of The Labyrinth Society. I had read a lot about labyrinths on Jonny Baker's website and in the book Soul Shaper, but I still wasn't sure what the fuss was all about. But in the words of Carol, "The best way to learn about labyrinths is to walk one."

After a time of prayerful preparation, I stepped into the labyrinth and started to slowly follow the long circuitous route to its center. Because I've been acutely aware lately of a need to be more conformed to the image of Christ, I silently repeated the prayer, "More of Jesus, less of me." When I got to the core of the labyrinth I just paused for awhile in the presence of God. Then I traced the route back to the outside thanking God for all the ways he is transforming me into his image. (I also tried a smaller labyrinth and even some small hand labyrinths that were on display.)

It was a beneficial experience that I would like to incorporate into my regular spiritual disciplines. I'm accustomed to sitting or laying down while I'm at prayer, but the act of using my whole body added an interesting depth to the experience. I also found it helpful that the labyrinth imposed a rhythm to my prayer: walking in I could express my lacking to God, wait on him in the center, and express my gratitude on the way out.

Thank God for the spiritual connections series at Mount Saint Benedict! In the midst of all the uncertainty at work these days, it makes for a nice personal time of refreshment and reflection each month.

No comments: