Saturday, May 01, 2004

Bliss

I awoke last evening around 3 am. I felt completely rested and would have assumed that it was 7 am if I hadn't been in complete darkness. Going back to sleep wasn't going to be an option, so I got up so as to not wake my sleeping wife. The things I usually do when I can't sleep -- read, surf the net, and watch TV -- just didn't seem appropriate last night. Something else was in the air. I quietly crept downstairs and took a seat in our living room where our two children were sound asleep, the television still on. I switched it off. Our living room is beautiful. My wife transformed the walls a few years ago from a drab off-white to an inviting mustard with a scoria-colored trim. She also decorated our picture window with an odd little string of lights from Ikea and some gold-embossed cloth. Simple touches really, but it's just one of those amazing things she does to a room with a spare weekend on her hands. The house was in complete darkness but for the glow of the picture window, and as the light washed over me I was lost in the most beautiful feeling of bliss. I took a seat near my sleeping son and gave myself completely over to the moment. To be quite honest, I have no idea how briefly or long I sat there. I just felt a complete happiness with God. It was a time of worship and ministry that went deeper than words or intellect. I felt as if I were an empty cup and God was pouring himself into me. The moment never really passed, but I eventually made my way to a spare bedroom for a deep sleep. I awoke this morning and reflected that this must be a little of what heaven must be like.

No comments: