Friday, May 21, 2004

Roughin' It

I never realized that I was an addict until the unthinkable happened yesterday: my super-fast cable modem connection died! It had been there when I disconnected the iBook to do some work in another part of the house earlier in the day, but it was gone when I reconnected it last night. I assumed the tragedy must have somehow been connected with this, and repeatedly fiddled around with my ethernet connection and cable modem. A glance at the clock surprised me that I had been doing this for about 2 1/2 hours! The story should have ended there, but I came back to it an hour later. Then it was the first thing I checked out when I woke up this morning. While I waited for the cable repairman to get there, I couldn't stop thinking of stuff I wanted to do on the internet: check the news and weather, chat with friends, get maps, and even look up definitions of words. It's amazing to think about how quickly the internet went from being a novelty item to a must-have accessory. By odd coincidence my cell phone died at the same time. Ah, the trials and tribulations of a 21st century man...

No comments: