Tuesday, March 15, 2005

23rd Psalm

Psalm 23


A psalm of David.
   1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

    2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,

    he leads me beside quiet waters,

    3 he restores my soul.

    He guides me in paths of righteousness

    for his name's sake.

    4 Even though I walk

    through the valley of the shadow of death, [a]

    I will fear no evil,

    for you are with me;

    your rod and your staff,

    they comfort me.

   

    5 You prepare a table before me

    in the presence of my enemies.

    You anoint my head with oil;

    my cup overflows.

    6 Surely goodness and love will follow me

    all the days of my life,

    and I will dwell in the house of the LORD

    forever.

This passage was read today at the funeral of an 18 year-old-girl, that happened to be an honor student with much promise and hope for her future. This girl was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was murdered early last Friday morning.
One of my current students was her friend, and I had the honor of escourting him to the services this morning.

There was so much sadness, overwhemling the family and friends by audible moans of grief and dispair over thier great loss. You could touch, taste, feel and see the affect of this violent and horrible act.

But more than the loss, I witnessed a funeral that was standing room only. It was filled to the brim with people who loved Sam. Teachers, friends, family and even a few strangers like me - but I didn't feel like a stranger when I caught the tear-filled eyes of an old friend saying, "Thank you so much for coming." God was in that room today. In the embraces, in the hands held, and in the words read.

    6 Surely goodness and love will follow me

    all the days of my life,

    and I will dwell in the house of the LORD

    forever.

Sam, may you rest knowing the love others had for you. May goodness and love follow you throughout eternity. I know that you have a beautiful mansion in heaven. You are safe, at peace, and at home there. Your life gave so many others the opportunity to hear about Jesus - I pray that they heed what was said.

Peace and Love,
The Stranger that wasn't a stranger -
Thanks.
Lamont

No comments: