Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Travel without TARDIS

It occurred to me during morning prayer that my time traveling isn't just to the summertime. I've been doing my share of traveling both to the future and to the past.

I'm responsible for a rather large project that I feel never comes any closer to completion, despite my best efforts. If I wanted to wax all poetical about it, I would use a word picture like spinning my wheels on the ice but poets don't write about cars, do they? I just want to move onto the next phase and dream of the time when I'm finally onto the next thing. "It will be different in the future," I tell myself. But this leaves me very dissatisfied with the present.

It's also becoming more apparent to me how much healing I need from the past. Even though things have gone great with the residents of Experiment House since the closing of our ministry, too often my mind wanders back to the struggles and betrayals, character assassinations, and hurts of the last year... I am fine for days and then something stirs a memory and I see how truly bound I am to that "big ball of pain," in spirit if not in body. I'm sure I miss the good things about the present sometimes because I'm reliving a broken dream.

That's the thing about time travel. In movies and on TV, the narrative always follows the traveler into the past or future. So you never realize how much of the present they miss.

I read in the scriptures today, "If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

That's a promise, isn't it?

No comments: