Friday, March 25, 2005

Roxy Music

I have a rather long commute to work, so I decided at the outset last November to redeem the time by listening to books on tape. I made it through Slaughterhouse Five, The Care of the Soul, How to Win Friends and Influence People and a whole lot of others. I listened to some cool Mike Yaconelli talks I downloaded off the 'net. It was a great way to pass the time and I learned some things, too. But no more. What did me in was listening to The Bible, of all things. Driving forty miles every morning and afternoon listening to a monotone voice droning on so-and-so begat so-and-so can do weird things to a person's psyche. Believe me.

So out went the book of 1st Chronicles and in went Roxy Music. Ever heard of them? They started in 1972 and were sort of a cross between glitter and prog rock. By 1982 they had somehow transformed into a dreamy sounding pop/rock combo who recorded the perfect album of all time, Avalon. I wasn't introduced to the band until the mid 80s, when it was already long gone. I can't imagine what it must have been like to come across a Roxy Music album when it was all new, sitting in the same record rack at Jamesway with The Captain and Tenille and B.J. Thomas.

Do yourself a favor and listen to some Roxy Music today!

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." -- 2 Chronicles 7:14

"I would do anything for you, I would climb mountains, I would swim all the oceans blue, I would walk a thousand miles, Reveal my secrets, More than enough for me to share..." -- Roxy Music

No comments: