Monday, March 07, 2005

Doctor Who - Rose

Well, the rumors are true... The premiere episode of the new Doctor Who series, Rose, has been leaked to the internet. I know, because I saw a copy over the weekend. After peeing myself from excitement, I thought I'd jot down my impressions...

The first thing you need to know about the premiere is that Russell T. Davies and company got it right on every single count. It will erase your memory of the Americanized Fox TV movie from 1996 and most of the episodes after Tom Baker left the show. It's still Doctor Who, but bigger. It's shot film-style with great production values and nice special effects. The characters are much better drawn than they ever were on the original series. But it retains the humor and the sense of absurd that made the original show so much fun to watch.

I wasn't sure how Christopher Eccleston was going to pull off the Doctor, but he won me over instantly in the premiere. Witty and very fun to watch -- somewhat like Tom Baker, but not quite as manic. From the moment he appears in the episode he is the Doctor.

There have been some very negative reviews of this episode popping up on the Ain't It Cool News website... All I can say is that some people get Doctor Who and some don't. One reviewer actually said something to the effect of "the show is too damned British!" Also, much has been read into Sci-Fi Channel's passing on the show... I'm going to say that they're going to regret this after the Hitchhiker movie comes out and creates a nice market for quirky British sci-fi...

Don't be mislead... Doctor Who is back!

No comments: