Thursday, September 07, 2006

I Survived Nicomachean Ethics!!!

Reading Nicomachean Ethics hasn't been without its challenges. More that once I felt like the kid in the Far Side cartoon who raises his hand and says to the teacher, "May I be excused? My brain is full." I do, however, think I got the gist of Aristotle's philosophy in the end. (I'll find out for certain when I get my 2nd essay paper back!)

There are a few aspects from Nichomachean Ethics that I will incorporate into future spiritual formation/mentoring activities.

George Barna wrote in Growing True Disciples that, "...most born-again adults are limited in their ability to grow spiritually because they have failed to set any goals for their spiritual development..." (36) Aristotle's argument for excellence (living and doing well) as the goal of life was well argued. Stimulating individuals towards excellence in all things is a far cry from a list of dos and don'ts. It will result in a more holistic growth in the end.

Sometimes Christians value our belief in sanctification more than the actual lived out experience. But faith without works is dead -- "activity" actualizes "the state". Aristotle can add a lot to teaching on faith and works.

No comments: