Saturday, September 02, 2006

In philosophy class news...

I find that while my appreciation of different philosophies has grown, I still can't honestly say that I am moving any closer to having a definitive opinion as to the state of humankind.

For instance, I posted a response to a classmate that was critical of Aristotle's view of society. I believe that a ruling class of elitists will become oppressive, no matter how noble the purpose they start out with. So it would appear that my opinion of mankind is that it is bent towards evil. But I also strongly believe that everyone in society should at least have a shot at realizing their potential as they see it -- and that sounds like a pretty optimistic view of humanity. I keep thinking myself in circles.

I'm beginning to wonder if these reading assignments aren't meant so much to give the class a smorgasbord of philosophies to choose between as a primer on how different philosophies have influenced (and are influencing) Christianity.

1 comment:

Matt said...

It's interesting to read your comments. You make the one reference to Scripture, and then you don't use it sometimes. How much does it impact your thoughts on this stuff?