Friday, September 01, 2006

Inegalitarianism and Deliberative Abilities

Aristotle is profound, but my classmates and I are really struggling with his ideas regarding natural slaves and woman's inferiority to man. I couldn't help but chuckle when I read the description of Aristotle's ideal society which (naturally) put philosophers at the pinnacle. His inclusion of slavery in his plan wouldn't have raised an eyebrow because that's just the way the world worked back then. But I do think it would have been refreshing for Plato, Aristotle, etc.to ask the slaves what they thought about the whole arrangement...

It makes me wonder what inegalitarian systems are in operation right now which we don't see because they've been in operation our whole lives? How about appalling working conditions in the third world so we can enjoy "low, low prices"?

Does promoting college to some students while promoting technical training to others come from an honest assessment of their abilities and/or potential or is it just another example of the deliberative view of Aristotle's day?

No comments: