Saturday, April 24, 2004

Review: The Book of God by Walter Wangerin

Walter Wangerin's Book of God is a true oddity in the world of publishing: a book based on another book. And not just any book -- The Bible, in fact. When I came across this book at Borders in Erie PA, I wondered what the purpose could be of adding yet another version of the scriptures to the dozens of translations and paraphrases already lining the shelves. I'm sure I wouldn't have given it more than a passing glace but for Wangerin's reputation as a master storyteller. After leafing through the book, I was intrigued enough to pick up a copy.

The Book of God doesn't really claim to be a Bible. It's more a chronological retelling of the Bible. It begins with Abram and ends with the birth of the church. Even though I've grown up hearing about these events all my life, the book finally helped me tie it all together as one story. Wangerin breathes life and personality into the characters who are usually only remembered by one significant event in their lives. Sometimes I found myself thinking, "that part couldn't be in the Bible," only to look it up to find that it was really there.

So often Christians have reduced the Bible to a book of mere rules and propositions. The Book of God is different in that it causes one to look at the totality of a character's life, and not just at the couple of verses we memorized in Sunday School. I found myself regularly reflecting on the people and events in a way that I seldom have before. What a discovery process. My only criticism of the book is the last few pages. Wangerin seems like he is rushing to a conclusion and trying to hit every "theological biggie" by the end. I missed the leisurely pace of the rest of the book.

I would recommend The Book of God to anyone who wants to get a good overview of the story of the Bible. I would also suggest that pastoral staff consider incorporating its reading into the confirmation or discipleship process of the church.

No comments: