Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Talk Derby To Me (Part Two)

I got to do something on my vacation that I rarely get to do otherwise: sleep in! T-- and I woke up to discover that it was 10:45 in the morning, which is pretty late for us, even on a Saturday. Thinking that we were holding up the rest of our friends, we got quick showers and headed downstairs to find out that only two other people were up and about. I guess ten-hour car rides will do that to you.

We made it downtown by 3 pm for Thunder over Louisville, the kickoff event for the Kentucky Derby. It's a six-hour airshow that features everything from biplanes to jet fighters. It was a pretty relaxing day all-in-all, lounging around the riverfront with 750,000 other people. After dark, the fireworks show to end all fireworks shows began. The regular part of the fireworks is better than any finale I've ever seen; the finale looks like the whole world is ending. I wonder what they do on the 4th of July?

No comments: