Thursday, April 15, 2004

Vacation

I never used to be good at taking vacation. In previous years, I have actually passed on vacation time and spent it at work. But now I like to pretend the universe can get along without me, at least for a few days at a time. When I did manage to get away from work, I used to fill my hours by catching up with school work or doing things around the house. But this vacation is different -- I've graduated from college, and the weather has been too cold and snowy for yardwork. So I've kept busy doing nothing.

I drove the family to Dunkirk today. We walked the whole way out onto the pier and could see across to Canada. It was the nicest day that we've seen all spring, but Lake Erie was still covered with a lot of ice. We were reminded of it everytime the chilly wind blew. Then we took in a late lunch at a little Italian restaurant in Fredonia. I came back home and read a book and watched some TV.

No watch, no Palm Pilot, no cell phone. I could get used to this vacation-thing, being busy doing nothing.

No comments: