Friday, April 30, 2004

That Was The Month That Was -- April 2004

April 2004 was a month that promised spring, but never really got around to delivering in a big way. The season actually seemed to be going backwards, quite often feeling more like February than April!

The Passover musical on the radio didn't seem to fit with the wintry weather I was driving through on the way to my friend J--'s birthday party. The backwoods in northwestern Pennsylvania have their own "terrible beauty" especially on a grey, cold day. It was quite a contrast to step into a warm, inviting home to spend the afternoon with friends. J-- turned 40, but you wouldn't have guessed from the decorations -- all superhero stuff. I could have never imagined any of our parents having Hulk decorations back in the day. Maybe my generation is just living out a lengthy childhood -- I celebrated my birthday (36) watching monster movies!

I took a much-needed vacation after the busyness of Holy Week. I ended up in Kentucky, where there was evidence of spring! T-- and I reflected that we must be crazy to live up here in New York aka the North Pole.

Last Sunday I went to a Youth Specialties event in Buffalo. The "training" wasn't so much about techniques as it was about discovery. The facilitator led us through some exercises to help us discover our own unique personalities and gifts. It was some much-needed affirmation. The intensive kind of people-work the church requires can leave me worn out, and it's a big temptation sometimes to wish I had the gifts and abilities of more successful ministers. But it's much more important to be myself. I may not be the best, but I am genuine, and that seems to be a rare quality these days!

I spent a lovely evening at the Mount Saint Benedict Monastery on Wednesday. Being a rather shy type, I almost cancelled my reservation when I found out T-- had to work. But I'm glad I participated. Sister Carolyn and everyone was so friendly to the "new guy." We shared a dinner and then spent the evening talking about creation spirituality. The one thing I took back from the program was the Benedictine idea of living in the present. I spend so much time regretting the past or worrying about the future, so it was a message I really needed to hear. In an age of multitasking, it's a message we all probably need to hear. It fed my soul, and I will be back for other events.

If there's one word I would have to describe April 2004 with it would be encouragement. I'm really blessed with a group of friends near and far. A few days didn't go by in April that someone stopped by the office or called me on the phone and encouraged me. I even received a few letters and had some iChats from friends far away. Believe me -- it more than made up for the weather!

That was the month that was - April 2004...

No comments: