Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Groking in a Winter Blunderland

In the vast wasteland that we locals refer to as "Chautauqua Whine Country" we haven't had much of a winter yet. But I have already managed to drive the Matrix into a ditch twice so far. This morning I was only going about twenty miles an hour and the car slid into a ditch, almost sideways. Luckily, the car escaped without a scratch. After all, it just landed in a big pile of snow...

After work, I hopped in the car for my fifty-minute commute home and noticed that the steering wheel was really shaking when I went above 30 mph. So I took it straight to the garage to make a service appointment. The nice guy at the counter told me that snow or mud packed around the wheels could be what was causing the shaking, and I might as well go to the car wash and try an undercarriage wash first. Problem solved. Turns out that was the problem. And it only cost me $5 at the car wash versus $43/hr that the garage would have run me. Who says that there aren't any honest mechanics?

Local radio is bracing us for a wicked winter storm this evening. Said it before, will say it again: I gotta be insane to live in Western New York!

1 comment:

Michael said...

Oh, we got blasted by that one too.