Saturday, January 29, 2005

We'll do your taxes, but we don't have that movie.

I went to the ever expanding Wal-Mart the other day to find H&R Block set up in the middle of the jewelry department. I couldn't help but wonder if the ladies working at the counter get a commission off of every person that spends a portion of their instant tax rebate on their vast array of average bling-bling. It's interesting to me that the larger Walmart grows the odder it's services become. Honestly, do you want financial advice from and individual sitting across from you while dazed shoppers pass by the triangle of metal mesh screen that's surrounded by end-caps overflowing with music-boxes on one side and fuzzy slippers on the other?

I'm just as bad as everyone else when it comes to going back to the big W to do my shopping basics. It's cheaper, it's all under one roof, but I recognize that buying my contacts there may be o.k. - but taxes... can you say "audit"?

It could be that all this aggression I'm feeling stems from the fact that the reason I went there, to pick up a DVD, failed while looking through miles of white, metal shelves and blue vested workers.

I caught the flick "City of Angels" on cable the other night when I had drank too much coffee too close to bedtime, and yes - I cried through the last twenty minutes of it. To be honest, I cried myself to sleep over the "saddest-ending-in-the-world!" That was a good flick. I wanted to watch it again. Maybe part of me wanted to make sure I hadn't gotten it wrong. Naw. I just wanted the emotional roller-coaster to call my own.

The guy behind the electronics counter said, "It's to old of a movie. We don't have it. Check at the mall or online. They'll have it there, I'm sure."

Ok, back up.

Comment 1:"It's to old of a movie."
First, "City of Angels" was made in 1998 - is that old? If you guys only carry films that are "New" then why is there a bin of old Abbot and Costello cut-outs sitting at the entrance of Electronics?

Comment 2: "We don't have it."
I don't think I've ever heard this one before. Walmart doesn't have everything. Really? I've been taking the "one stop shopping" line too seriously. Listen to me now world. Walmart doesn't sell everything there is to sell. What a revolution there would be if this secret gets out.

Comment 3: "Check at the mall or online. They'll have it there, I'm sure."
First, my item was too old. Second, they didn't have it. Now for the most astounding experience I've had while bargain shopping (besides being magically drawn to the clearance section of Kmart that was illuminated by a blue flashing light.)
I was told to buy it somewhere else.

Somewhere else? Mall, Internet...really? I knew that, but it just seemed so scary but freeing knowing that, I could look elsewhere for my DVD and the guy at Walmart had given me his blessing to go on with my crusade. I could go out the door, back to the comforts of my own home and the endless opportunities awaiting on the sea of internet shopping; or over to my local movie store - where the staff wears some kind of color coordinated identity wear - but there the color won't be blue.

I still haven't picked up my DVD. I think I may wait a while to see if I really liked it as much as I thought I did, before I take my entertainment crusade any further. That may be a good thing for me to remember the next time I go shopping at the big W. If they didn't have all those things I dump into my cart every week or so - would I buy them elsewhere, or would I live my life without them without any real difficulty? I know that it's a necessity to buy stuff like: toilet paper, shampoo, and dryer sheets; but all the things I think I need? Do I really? I think that I need to think more about this one.

As for H&R Block setting up in the middle of the big W, I think that is one department I'll avoid. There are some situations in life that you need to got to a specialized merchant, in order to receive the best service. You may see me digging through a discount bin for an "old" movie, but you won't see me cashing in my refund at a jewelry counter. Taxes are taxes, and there are no blue light specials or clearance sections in my accountants office.




No comments: