Thursday, April 28, 2005

The Next Step in my DVD Collection's Evolution...

Misteroblivious and I have wasted a lot of air discussing what programs aren't on DVD yet, such as the Adam West Batman series, Get Smart and Max Headroom. But someone at A&E Home Video decided to throw a bone to the geeks and release The Tomorrow People on DVD!

The Tomorrow People was made in Britain between 1973 - 1978, but didn't air in America until the early 1980s on Nickelodeon. (Yes, they had Nickelodeon when I was a kid!) It's about a group of teens who find they have superpowers like being able to read minds, appear and disappear, and levitate things. Like any one of us would do in a similar situation, The Tomorrow People set up a base with a talking computer in an abandoned subway station and confront alien invaders.

This show is for fans of classic Doctor Who. And I mean that in a good way. All the hallmarks of the more well known series are evident in The Tomorrow People -- shot on video, wobbly sets, cliffhangers, low production values, aliens who invade the English countryside, and quarries that double as alien planets. Believe me, if you ever just happened to catch a snippet of the show while channel surfing, you'd expect to see the TARDIS somewhere in the background.

This is one series I never, ever, ever expected to see on DVD in the USA. Heck, I never expected to ever see the show ever again. You can bet I'm saving my pennies now for the release of the boxed set next month -- all 26 episodes of the first two seasons! I can't wait to see how my memory of the show holds up!

No comments: