Thursday, August 03, 2006

Let it rain

Jeremiah 14:20-22
" We acknowledge our wickedness, O Lord, the iniquity of our ancestors, for we have sinned against you. Do not spurn us, for your name sake; do not dishonor your glorious throne; remember and do not break your covenant with us. Can any idols of the nations bring rain? Or can the heavens give showers, Is it not you, O Lord our God? We set our hope on you, for it is you who can do all this."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking at this verse this week and received a great amount of encouragement from it. Maybe it's the exteme heat and humidity that made the "rain" segment of the scripture impress itself upon me so strongly, but the idea of God bringing the rain into our lives is a very powerful expression.

Rain refreshes us, helps the crops to grow, it actually keeps us alive in many senses of the word.

What in my life needs the rain that God gives? Where do I need to be refreshed, watered and given life-preserving respose? Does God need to clean my life up? Will I allow Him to wash me clean, give me rest and life?

God is the one in contol, not me (thank goodness). God help me to remember your authority over all things - even the things I think belong to me.

When I'm weary, dehydrated, wandering, and dusty from the road of life; do I look to You to provide all my needs?
I think it looks like rain....
God open up the skies - let the rain fall over me, in me and let it spill into all areas of my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was checking to see who else had A Circle of Quiet in their book favorites and found your blog today. I appreciate your reminder today through this verse and your own words to look to God for the rain that we need in our life. It is a timely reminder for me. Thank you.