Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Relatively speaking...

Relativism came up in our virtual class discussion today. Relativism can run the whole gamut from denying that there aren’t certain kinds of universal truths to believing there is no such thing as a universal truth.

There's a famous Abraham Lincoln quote that goes, "When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion." I don't think that's a terrible motto for people to live by until its adopted by someone narcissistic. That’s where subjective relativism breaks down for me. It only appears to work for people who already have a highly developed moral compass.

I don’t much buy conventionalist relativism, either. Societies may differ in the fine print, but nobody celebrates the liar, the thief, or the murderer. (C.S. Lewis addresses this in Mere Christianity. I’d post a quote but I’m out of town right now.)

No comments: