Saturday, August 26, 2006

Yahoo maps, Secret Squirrel, Shows, Mr. President, Dark Roast Coffee, Rubber Stamps and Tornados

What a crazy non-weekend weekend it's been...

Yahoo? I have to write to yahoo maps, because the road trip to State College was great, but not due to their directions. I think they're as confused with the geography of western Pa as I am - which is why you need good direction in the first place. Anyhow, don't use Yahoo if you're driving through the woods = lost!

Secret Squirrels: You are so fun, loving and great to hang out with - being lost in Western Pa was the least stressful experience, because yoou were so cool about it. No complaining ( as long as we found a potty in time) was heard the ENTIRE trip! I can't tell you when that has EVER happened before. Thanks soooooo much for the great time!

The Shows: The venue in State College was called the Loft - really a chapel in an old Nazerine Church. It's really good to see many churches developing a ministry in music again. We've been trying in good old Warren, PA at the Sally Army; but overall --- it's as if there is a wave of adults or adult that are catch ing the wave --- of how the message of seeking after and carrying out a relationship with Jesus can be expressed in christian indy music. I've seen it in my generation and now many of the friends that were so encouraged in their faith in their late teens and 20's are now in their 30's and 40's trying to share the same message with the younger generation through the new generation's music. ( I've seen this wave in Bradford, Warren, and now State College. Let's keep it going guys!) This wave make's sense AS LONG AS THE MESSAGE IS BEING COMMUNICATED CLEARLY!

Last Tuesday was sandwiched between Run Kid Run and The Wedding. The Wedding was interesting to see. I'd have to learn more about them and their music to give more commentary. But the drummer for that band reminded me of a very young Tommy Lee, how funny is that.

But I digress.

Run Kid Run were very good at expressing their faith and capturing worship and rock in a new creative way - how so? We'll yes I bought thier Cd and not only do I like it, my teen daughter likes it, and my 9 year old son too. That is a large age spread and I think they have the makings to reach some various groups of people.

Last Tuesday I have to say is wonderful. Steve, Carl, Chris, Ben and Kristen are amazing people that really deserve some kudos. Not just for the fantastic music that they give to the masses, but for the sincere, caring people that they are. Sometimes in life we don't realize the importance our relationships hold - but I've seen young people encourged to keep up the good fight via the members care in lyrics, text messages and emails; as well as speaking to the fans/friends in person. Thanks so much for that. As a youth worker, I see all the things that bring my students down - you all are people that bring them up! The CD is great - thanks for "The Stand" remake - ahhh the good old days! Go buy the Last Tuesday CD now - no questions - just go get it and give it to a teen that needs to be encourged. That's all I have to say about that.

Mr President: We had the chance to catch up with a dear friend from Warren that is currently attending Penn State as a Political Science major (ie. Mr. President). He showed us around Penn State: Walmart, Northwest Savings Bank, Sheetz, Dennys at midnight and he gave us a place to stay for the night as I didn't want to tackle the Pennsylvania Quad at 3am. I really appreacte the hospitality and williness to be a friend to all the people I brought with me. You're a good guy, Mr. President.

Dark Roast Coffee: I have to say that Sheetz has the best Dark Roast European Coffee because the trip home seemed to speed by - caffine is great for that. We arrived home in under 3 hours thanks to correct directions and bypassing most fo the Pa. Quad.

Rubber Stamps: I spet most of my evening at the WASU show in Warren on Friday night. Some friends of mine had set up the show ( Annie Chaos, Jackie and Mary WOAH!) The managed to put 6 bands in the set! Whew - I was rather content to sit and greet people as they came in. Take their money and stamp their hand to get into the event. I got to visit with some new people, hang out with some of the Embers ( Deb, Carlie, Heather...) and relax until....

Last Band: Falling into Place was the last band to play and I was so happy to see them again. I got to meet the lead singer's fiance Katie and we got to have a nice talk getting to know each other. Isn't it funny that sometimes when you meet someone new it just clicks. Thei was one of those times. Thanks Katie! I once told the guys from FIP that I could tell that they were christians before they ever said, sang or told me they were. They just had a peace and joy about them that was uncontrollably God. It was a full circle moment when Katie told me last night - " I can tell you're a Christian. " Every day I pray that Jesus can been seen in my flawed life. That his love, power and grace can be seen in spite of my humaness. I'll keep praying for that to be seen. Wherever I go, whatever road trips I take, whoever I take with me, whatever bands I see, whoever I meet and build frindships with - I pray that the world sees Jesus. Before I open my mouth and after I speak - Let the world hear Jesus.

Tornado? - I was listening to the band enjoying the show and all the sudden I saw the crowd dissappear! The band started to laugh, thinking the kids lost interest. Later we found out that the funnel clouds had been spotted a few miles away. Parents wanted the kids home and they went.

I said my goodnights, picked up my son, picked up a pizza on the way home and realized it was after midnight. Now it's Saturday - it was the weekend that wasn't a weekend before the weekend - whew I think I'm going to sleep in on Saturday - well today.

Love and Caffine,
Tara

No comments: