Saturday, August 26, 2006

Thoughts on... A Preface To Philosophy

I had assumed that my previous study of cultural diversity, sociology, psychology, and religion had given me some sort of a head start on understanding the fundamentals of philosophy.

I was wrong!

A Preface to Philosophy by Mark B. Woodhouse isn’t a study of the history of the discipline. Rather, it is a guide to the practice of philosophy. The author’s love for the topic really comes through in the writing, which I found to be one of the key strengths of the book--his enthusiasm kept me engaged as a seemingly endless series of concepts were introduced.

I learned that philosophy seeks meaning and truth about issues by using reason to deduce the “most rationally defensible answers.”

I can’t honestly say that I’ve absorbed it all yet. The ideas became a little less distinct the further I went in the book. (I’m referring to my comprehension here, not the writing.) But I came away with the understanding that philosophy is something to be practiced and not just read. I’m hoping that as I exercise my critical thinking skills the less distinct concepts will come into focus.

Woodhouse has produced a brief guide to philosophy in straightforward language. The book also includes brief entries about key philosophers and an extensive glossary of philosophic terms. I would recommend it to anyone who would benefit from a handy guide to the topic—-I know I will certainly be referencing this book again!

No comments: